The reason I started this new blog is to link with women from all walks of life and at all ages. I want to create a network of career women, SAHMs, working mothers, students, grandmothers, professionals, retirees…..the list just goes on.
Despite a clear intent, I seem to keep losing myself when it comes to post content, since I can’t decide whether a particular topic fits in with this blog or not. To resolve this confusion I’ve been trying to figure out the common factors that link women across the globe and across demographics. After a few months of thinking (that’s why I was so irregular with my blogging, I was busy with mind gymnastics) and extensively reading blogs by other women (and some blogs about women written by men), this is what I’ve come up with.
WHAT WOMEN NEED, WANT AND TALK ABOUT (wonder what the men would think of this analysis):
- Current Affairs – Yes, women are interested and tuned into the world around them. It’s their take on it that tends to be a bit different
- Culture – Broadly covering travel, reading and the arts. Look around and see how many bloggers form online book clubs or culture clubs
- Clothes – Not all of us are fashionistas (in fact surprisingly few of us are), however, most of us strive to look presentable even if we are just popping out for brunch, unlike most men (sorry the gender thing was too true to be avoided here)
- Work – In today’s world all of us have a set of goals to achieve and this defines the work we do. It maybe a career in the traditional sense or a creative out of home business. Some of us even home-school our kids (which is frankly the toughest job ever, in my opinion). At the end of the day, we all want to look forwards to our weekdays and not just the weekends and having a job and a work environment that adds value does this
- Family and Friends – Most women mention their families or friends in at least 25% of their posts (this is just a rough statistic, I don’t have the paper work to back it up). Mothers, fathers (the daddy’s princess thing seems to be true), best friends, children, husbands, work friends
- The Social Circle – For most guys this means flopping on a couch with your best friends and watching sport. Women will most probably make it an intimate gathering for eight with wine, nibbles and a special projector system to watch the match of the hour. We rely on our social circle to de-stress and yes, we love gossip (non-malicious, obviously). Why do you think we go on play dates
- The Dream – This could be anything and will most probably be cherished and shared with a chosen few, at least till it’s achieved. I know you all have a secret one (we’ll discuss this in another post)
So this is what my posts are going to cover, maybe not all of it, but definitely most of it. I’ll try and focus on creating a harmonious whole from the supposedly conflicting personal and professional areas of my life. Wish me luck.
Did I get the list right? Would you be interested in reading and discussing the above? Most importantly, will you hang out with me? I’m a shameless friend groupie.