The techie and I started this business more than two years back. Since then we haven’t taken a holiday together. Primarily because the team and business itself needed one of us to be physically available everyday and on call for 24 hours. This week, goaded by concerned family members, we made a decision to take a family holiday sometime in the next two months. We are looking at locations less than an hour’s flight away, in case we need fly back in a hurry. We can’t be inaccessible since we have moved on to a new stage of growth and have multiple negotiations going on. All said and done, this is still a milestone, in terms of the team handling our current business being able to manage on their own for 4-5 days.
This is a big moment for new entrepreneurs like us, who know that we have to remove ourselves from day-to-day operations in order to focus on new business and avoid spreading ourselves too thin. The reason we are cautious is that we have too much invested in this business, on a personal and professional level, to take bets unless they are completely hedged. The cautiousness and hesitation seems similar to what I felt this morning.
Today, V insisted that the techie and I both drop her off at school. Normally it’s just one of us, usually me. I was a bit uncomfortable wondering if she was going back to being the clingy child that she was when we started play-school. Her normal routine, at the new school starts with a prolonged session of kissing, hugging and byes at the classroom door; followed a couple of loving backward glances and finishing with a peek, flying kiss and wave out the window after she stores her lunch bag in the designated cubbyhole. This morning started out the same and after the kisses I waited apprehensively for the backward glance to turn into a run back and clingy crying. I was left waiting as my baby strolled into class stowed away her lunch, chatted with her teacher and settled herself next to her new best friend. Poor mommy waited in vain at the window for her flying kiss.
Was I ready for this change. NO. Is this the same reluctance that’s holding me back from the family holiday or are the two incomparable?
It’s highly probable that the team will exceed our expectations during those 5 days. However, we plan to hedge that particular bet through training and streamlining the systems even further in the next two weeks.
Have you ever been unprepared for (planned and expected) changes that happen sooner than you expect?